Monday, March 26, 2012

Food, Fun, and Football


I’m sure many of you have scene a football game on TV, but have you actually gone to one? Going to a game is a completely different experience, especially in college. In high school I went to many football games, it was the “hangout place” on Friday nights for many students. I would dress up in my school colors, go to my school, and cheer on the team.  Typically I would get a few snacks in between and socialize with my friends, then go home or just hang out at a friend’s house. However, in college this experience is a lot more then just sitting in the bleachers and watching your school play. The only football game I went to this year was during homecoming, and that is something that I will remember for years to come. Since I’m I freshman I wasn’t sure what to expect during the homecoming football game. I figured everyone would be out and cheering on our team and then everyone would just leave and go back to doing their normal routine. However, I was pleasantly surprised when I found it what exactly homecoming was like. Many students and even parents wake up early Saturday morning and park their cars in all the parking lots around the food ball field, tents are put up, grills and lawn chairs are taken out. People come as early as 6 or 7 in the morning, and the game doesn’t even start till 3p.m. The hours in between are not only spent with friends but also family.  That surprised me because back in high school if parents came it was only to watch their sons playing football. In college parents come just to join the fun and food.  
While I didn’t wake up as early as most I still had plenty of time to enjoy the day. My friends and I picked the closes parking lot and just started walking through the crowd of red, white, and black (ISU colors).  There were cars and people everywhere, while music had filled the air. There were tables of food set up, people playing games of bags and everyone just having a good time. My first experience of homecoming was incredible and I know it won’t be my last.

No comments:

Post a Comment