Friday, March 9, 2012

ISU Symphonic Winds Performace


                February 26th, I went to see the symphonic winds play at the CPA. I wanted someone to go with me, so I asked Carleigh to go with me, but she declined because she doesn’t like symphonic ensembles and I’m terrible at persuading people against their initial judgment without the use of logic. After short consideration, I realized that I had no one else to really even ask, so I decided to go alone again. Being an introvert, it’s not disappointing to have to go about the day or to go to events alone. It makes for an entirely different experience. Going to see a live symphony isn’t exactly a social event, especially since you’re supposed to be quiet for the performing band (obviously), but it’s also nice to be able to sit alone and completely immerse oneself in the emotion of the composer’s work. There’s nothing and no one to distract you or pull you out of deep concentration; just music.
                Everyone there was all dressed up in formal wear: black suits and dresses, dress shoes, ties, very proper, civilized looking. I came by myself in a dilapidated, deodorant-pit-stained t-shirt, blue jeans, and year-old battered gym shoes. Some of the proper folk gave me odd looks, but who the hell are they to worry about my being there, and why should I burden myself with civil stature? I just want to hear some rich people music, dammit! I paid my $6 for a ticket, walked to the auditorium, and sat in the most centralized seat in the auditorium for what I believe is the best acoustic value on the first floor—but then again, I have no knowledge to prove that last statement.
The band did their thing, I clapped my hands a bunch of times and performed a complete introspective hike through the depths of my pre-frontal cortex throughout the show. After the last piece ended, everybody stood up and lingered out into the lobby, where there were drinks and snacks for people to have while socializing. I left immediately. None of that food and socializing stuff interested me. The Waterson dining hall probably had orange chicken for dinner, anyhow.

No comments:

Post a Comment