Friday, March 23, 2012

Record Store Adventure

It was one of the most exciting days I had here at ISU.  For months my two best friends, Breonna and Cheyenne, were planning to visit me, but because it took so long for them to figure out their work and school schedules I didn't think they ever would be able to come.  But then one Friday after my last class I got a call from one of my BFF's that they were on their way to visit me! When they arrived I showed them the whole campus but i wanted to show them the cozy little college town that I live in first.

First, we went to Uptown Normal.   What instantly stood out was the big painted mural on the side of one of the little shops.  If you've ever seen this thing you know how hilarious it is, but our personal favorite sections were the big fancy mustache, a guy playing guitar and the "perfectly Normal" square.  After that, we explored the various shops but I should warn you that depending on what your personal preferences are some shops might not be for you.  There was an awesome used record store where they sold used DVD's and CD's and posters, vinyl records and various posters.  Unfortunately, I don't remember what that store was called just that they played killer music and the guy behind counter had a gnarly beard. 


At the end of the sidewalk lies a store, but you must take a flight of stairs to get to. Stepping into "Mother Murphy's" was like stepping into a wonderland of music culture. The wooden stairs are riddled with the scribbling of mischievous youth, which one day down the road I'll try to find my signature again, coming band performances are published on a little stand next to the store's door, and inside the walls and ceilings are lined with ginormous band posters, there's a small section that dedicated to skateboarding and the less "parent-friendly" section for those who like to smoke.


Finally, my last favorite was yup- you guessed it- another record store. This one, however, is ever so special. This store sells CD's and DVD's both used and new, and there's a little closet where you can find vintage clothes.  Depending on when you're in there you might find the big fat cat that lives in the store. No, I'm not kidding there is a cat that roams around in the "House of Funk". If you're not afraid or allergic of cats, he's really friendly and loves attention!

So if you're looking for anywhere to buy a hard copy of an artist's music, a poster or even pet a big fat fluffy cat, walk past Watterson and head to Uptown Normal.