Friday, September 23, 2011

Dorms Can Be An Inconvenience

As it is commonly understood, all freshmen, unfortunately, must live in the dormitories at Illinois State University. Move in day is a great day. Unloading all your stuff, seeing new faces, pretty girls, and knowing you will be on your own without your parents in a short while is a lot to take it, but an incredible feeling. I got all my boxes and bags into my room and thought living in Hewett room 1424 would be, not luxurious, but decent living. However, after just a few short weeks, I am finally beginning to realize I was sorely mistaken and that when upperclassman said “the dorms suck”, I should have listened. It isn’t even October yet and the air conditioning got turned off, so my fan is on all day and night, as well as the window being open. The window being open, sadly, doesn’t bring in much of a breeze because the twin building next to mine shields wind blowing south-east. Also, the elevators are terrible, and when I say terrible, that’s an understatement. One of our three elevators is currently being redone, so we have 2 elevators for 17 floors. They’re always packed, and for some strange reason, stop at every floor on the way down- and being on the 14th floor sucks in that aspect. One last complaint, not that I’ve been complaining too much, is that night ops can be real sticklers. Perfectionists in the sense that you have to show your key and id, can only have three guests over that have to get checked out the next day or the privilege is lost, and stepping outside for a quick second doesn’t grant you access back in the building. I learned this last week when I ordered a pizza, stepped outside to pay the guy, and couldn’t get back in because I left my id in my room. As you can see, living in dorms sucks; definitely going to stay at my fraternity house next year ΔΧ.

No comments:

Post a Comment