Friday, September 23, 2011

T.K.E Fraternity Car Smash

















"That was totally worth a dollar," said the girl walking away with the sledgehammer in her hand. On wednesday, September 21st, on my way from class there was an old black car on the walk way near the quad. It had been vandalized and sprayed with green spray paint with the letters TKE on the side. I thought to myself, "wow so this is college life." T.K.E is one of the many fraternities at Illinois State. It stands for Tau Kappa Epsilon. It was founded on January 10, 1899. T.K.E aims to cultivate leaders, provide them with the tools and application of a solid life skills portfolio in a controlled environment. I stood and observed as students paid money to smash the car with a sledgehammer. By-passers stopped from their journeys and crowed around the walkway. Some watched in laughter as their fellow school-mates pummeled the car with a sledgehammer. It might seem crazy but, at that very moment I knew that college would be a very different, but rather good experience. In movies I often seen fraternities smash cars and I always wanted to do it. However, I wondered why other students wanted to do it. I guess it was to release stress, anger, or frustration. But it may have been for the same reason that i would engage in this activity. Which would be to have fun. From my knowledge this activity is usually done for a good cause. The money is often raised for charities or in use of the fraternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment