Tuesday, December 6, 2011

How Do YOU Spend Your Flex Dollars?

Bored of the usual dining centers? Want a different type of food to satisfy your hunger? Well no worries, that's exactly what flex dollars are for! If you have a meal plan here at Illinois State University, you also have flex dollars that you can use at select locations such as Pizza Hut, Mcallister’s, Einstein's Bagels, Burger King, Subway, and a couple smoothie shops located in The Bone and The Rec Center. We're sure almost everyone has an opinion about flex dollars so each of us gave our input on the topic.

Brittany stated, “I think flex dollars are so useful. Even though I didn't get as much money to spend with my flex dollars, I made sure to spend them wisely. Every meal plan comes with a certain amount of flex dollars, and since I have the unlimited meal plan, I got a total of $200 to spend. I tried to be somewhat smart about it and save my dollars till winter because I knew I definitely would not want to be walking over to Watterson for every meal in the rain, snow and below freezing temperatures. Lucky enough for me I live in Hewett Hall which has a Subway right downstairs. Unfortunately, I spent all of my flex dollars though and with about a week left of the semester I do have to walk over to Watterson for food. I believe that incoming students to Illinois State University should be told about flex dollars and what meal plan works best for them; whether they want to mainly go to the dining halls or maybe they would like to not have the unlimited meal plan, but be able to spend more money (flex dollars) on outside restaurants like Einstein's Bagels or Pizza Hut”.

Liz had her own opinion on flex dollars and said, “I honestly do not know how college students do not have a meal plan. Sure, the dining centers suck, but the flex dollars that come with each meal plan is simply a little piece of heaven on earth. Flex dollars are just so convenient, especially when you have family or friends visiting. It seems as if almost everything is just free. Having flex dollars is also an easy way to get out of the dorms and get together with friends. For example, every Tuesday the girls on my floor and I go to McAlister’s. It is so nice to just get out and relax, I feel like flex dollars are almost a way to relax and get your mind off of school work. Now as much I truly do love flex dollars I think they should be able to be used at other fast food restaurants such as: Chipotle, Noodles & Company, McDonald’s, Meatheads, and Potbelly’s. Now that would be awesome”.

Lastly, Adam explained, “My experience with flex dollars has not been a memorable one. I started out the semester with $450 flex dollars with the meal plan I had picked. What I have used over half my flex dollars on is Subway. My reason for that is it is open till 2am. Second reason is that a subway is in Watterson which is where I live. This means I don't have to walk anywhere when I feel lazy or when the weather outside isn't cooperating. Another place that I have used my flex dollars is Mcallister’s which I think is phenomenal. The food is great and they have a wide variety. I love the atmosphere it provides with a cool retro feeling and the service isn't bad either. It is just hassle sometimes to go there because it is at the Bone Center. I used about $75 flex dollars there. The other places I have used my flex dollars at is Burger King. It is also in the Bone Center so it is a pain to get to if I am in my dorm and want food. I usually just get BK in between classes. I think their burgers are decent but I do love their onion rings. Then I found a liking for Jamba Juice because I’m always around the Rec Center. I figured I would have to try it and I spent a good $40 flex dollars at Jamba I would say. My favorite smoothie from there is the Orange Dream Machine. I haven't made great use of my flex dollars but I try to make an effort to change up my variety. I have to say I am pretty sick of Subway. I managed to still have $70 flex dollars left with 2 weeks left in the semester”.

Written By: Brittany, Liz & Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment