Wednesday, December 7, 2011

A Saturday at ISU.

On Saturday December 3rd, 2011 my girlfriend and I went to the track meet held at the Horton Field House. It was the Early Bird Invitational. We went there because my friend from back home was running in this meet for Concordia University. The races started at 10:30 in the morning. I don’t know when it ended because we left early. We were there from 10:30 in the morning to 3:30 in the afternoon. From what I saw there, there were six schools there. The schools were ISU, Concordia, Western University, Saint Louis University, Ashford, and Loyola University. The first thing we heard when we walked in was a gunshot for a race to start. At first the track meet was entertaining then it got boring. At first there were so many things going on. At least it seemed like it. There was pole vaulting, sprints, and weight throwing. They were all going on simultaneously. It was just cool to be able to see different going on at the same time. During this time my girlfriend and I took a lot of pictures from the meet. After this there was the 60m dash. My friend was running in it. My girlfriend and I cheered him on and took pictures of him for him. He finished in 4th place. It was his first time competing since his junior year of high school. After this race we talked to him for a bit. It was nice to hear from him. This is when it got boring. There was nothing going on except weight throwing. It was so boring. My girlfriend and I sat at the meet bored waiting for my friend’s next race to take place. We waited for an hour. Finally my friend’s race was about to start. He did the 200m run. He finished 4th again. After that race he told me “College track is a lot harder compared to high school track.” He didn’t mind coming in 4th, he just knows he can do better. After that race my girlfriend and I left the track meet and headed back to the dorms.

At ISU there is a lot to do on the weekends. For an example me and my group Mike and Dylan decided to go out on a Friday and do different things to show just some of the things you can do on campus. For my activity I went bowling and played pool at the bowling and billiards center. The bowling and billiards center is good to just go and hang out with friends. Plus it is not that expensive for students. Although I did not do very well when we went bowling it was still fun to just hang out with friends and relax. Plus when we played pool I got a lot better and didn’t feel as bad for being bad at bowling. Along with going to bowling and playing pool my friends and I decided to go get something to eat at Einstein’s in the Bone Center. This restaurant is also a good place to go and hang out with friends or to just go and relax with a nice cup of coffee to do homework. It is a quiet and comfortable place with a fireplace and relaxing chairs that allow you to relax and just enjoy whatever you have to drink while doing homework, seeing friends, or even discussing things with a professor. It is a more professional style place to enjoy yourself and to actually get something done. I would definitely recommend both the bowling and billiards center and Einstein’s to anyone who needs something to do when they are bored.

BY: Mike H. and Sami G.

No comments:

Post a Comment