Friday, October 14, 2011

women o' lockerbie

Last Sunday I went to see the Women of Lockerbie. Since I have never heard of the play until I came here to ISU, the play kind of intrigued me. Not only did I have to see it for class but I wanted to see the play. When I entered the CPA's or Center for Performing Arts's auditorium and saw the stage i was surprised. Since I am in Civic Chorale and have class/practice in the CPA auditorium I am used to seeing the whole auditorium but this time approximately half the seats, give or take a few, in the front section were gone. The set consisted of three hills in the background, four or five boulders, two or three paths, stars in the dark blue or black sky and a stream of flowing water. The affect of the stars and the flowing water added a calm feeling to the atmosphere which helped the audience understand that night was a sad but calm one, until future events ensued. the play is about an incident that happened in Lockerbie, Scotland. The incident is when Pakistanian terrorist blew up a plane above Lockerbie and killed about 300 people on December 21st, 1988. Since I never knew anything about this event until i read about it in the program and saw the play I became even more interested in the event. I actually liked the play and think it was performed really well. The plat drove of off emotions and at times i felt really sad at some moments in the play. The play wasn't all sad though. In the play there was a fight scene and there was some comedy to offset the sadness to it. The actors did a great job and they gave it a professional feel to the play. Overall if you didn't see the play then you missed out on a great one and i wish i could see it again, but I can't sadly.

No comments:

Post a Comment